Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pineapple Palm Sconces

Stray Dog Designs is one of my favorite sites for quirky, original home accent pieces and lighting! Last spring I used their artichoke lamp for a project inspiration and just recently I've found another piece to inspire me. The "Sam Buffet Lamp" shown below encompasses a lot of elements of design I adore... clean lines, a crisp white shade, and those dramatic palm leaf touches! Unfortunately I can't possibly fit one more lamp or lighting fixture in our house (my husband and I were laughing that we never use any of the built in/recessed lighting our house actually came with). So I used the lamp as inspiration for some existing sconces in our dining room and used some left over material from my Mediterranean inspired chandelier project.

Here I rolled, cut, and molded the crayola clay to resemble the leaves on the lamp/chandelier. It needed to dry for about 1/2 hour so it wasn't too moist/floppy to be molded to the sconce. These little ramekins were the perfect size for drying and shaping the clay.
Here is a picture of one of the sconces minus the candle holder (4 in all). I had previously removed the orange mosaic tile coverings because they seemed to dark/drab after getting soot and buildup on them.
I pinched and fit the semi-dried clay into the cup of the sconce and molded it the way I wanted, and made sure to cover the metal prongs that were previously holding the glass candle holder up.
Ta da!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment